Let’s face it – men like cocktails just as much as women (but most men won’t admit it.) That’s because they have a reputation for being “girly” or “feminine”. If you’ve ever wondered about this, you can love your cocktails and hold onto your manhood too.
8 of the manliest drink suggestions to order next time you’re at the bar:
- Whiskey Sour
- It’s perhaps one of the most macho drinks you can order, the Whiskey Sour. In its most basic form, it is concocted with whiskey and lemon, but if you want to limit the pucker-effect, a touch of sugar will do the trick. They are perfect for enjoying year-round but the citrus makes them especially great for summer.
- Dating back to the 1890s in the United States, the Stinger was originally considered an upper class beverage. Today, it’s perhaps a lesser-known cocktail but we think it still deserves the attention. It’s made using just the right ratio of crème de menthe and brandy and served over ice. Everyone should try it at least once – and, who knows- it may be your new favorite.
- Bloody Bull
- A Bloody Mary, but manlier, the famous Bloody Bull is a unique mix of vodka, beef bouillon, lemon, Tabasco sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. It’s a savory flavor combo that no doubt isn’t for everyone but hey, there will be no doubt as to whether you’ve got hair on your chest!
- Snake Bite
- Anyone can appreciate the simplicity of the Snake Bite. With just two ingredients, Canadian Whiskey and a splash of fresh lime juice, served in a shot glass, this drink is a no-frills approach to getting your drink on, and everyone at the bar will know you mean business.
- Rusty Nail
- Dating back to the 1740s, the Rusty Nail will always be a classic. It was a favorite of Sinatra and Dean Martin, two of the toughest red-blooded men of all time. This classic drink is made by mixing Drambuie, a golden scotch liqueur with a blend of honey, herbs and spices and scotch whiskey together, and it’s served “neat”, on the rocks, or in a stemmed glass.
- Part of being manly is being able to hold your liquor. But as we all know, some drinks will carry you further into the evening than others. The Jagerade, with a combination of Gatorade energy drink and Jagermeister liqueur is one of those such drinks. It’s not only tasty but can also help increase your electrolytes before they get over-depleted and you’re ready to call it a night.
- Gold Rush
- Yet another manly drink you can’t go wrong with, the Gold Rush is a man’s best friend at the bar or pub. This shot is made using bourbon, lemon juice, and a hint of honey for a potent, yet smooth-tasting shot that never gets old.
- Old Fashioned
- Last but not least, we come to the timeless Old Fashioned whiskey cocktail made even more manly by Don Draper in the hit TV series Mad Men. The cocktail is made by muddling together sugars with bitters, adding in a high-quality bourbon, and poured over the rocks in a short tumbler. Traditionally, it has been served before dinner to stimulate the appetite but we think it’s a great drink to serve anytime you fancy it.