Rio de Janeiro is one of the most naturally beautiful and heavily populated places in the world. The iconic landscape presents one of the most easily recognizable panoramas, and it’s impossible to miss the giant Christ the Redeemer statue looking down over the city from atop Corcovado mountain. Whether you are traveling for business, Carnival, or looking to catch some sun on the picturesque beaches, chances are you’re going to work up an appetite. Luckily, the city has an abundance of exceptional eateries and several Michelin-starred restaurants to satiate any appetite.
A gourment guide to Rio de Janeiro
- In under a decade, Oro has already established itself among the world’s culinary elite. After earning several best restaurant awards and a Michelin star, this restaurant alone is reason enough to take a trip to Brazil. With a focus on fire-cooked delicacies, an extravagant wine list, and two menus to choose from, this is one Brazilian institution you will want to become intimately acquainted with.
- If you have time to book ahead, Zuka should be on your list of places to dine. The restaurant stays packed and offers inspired takes on traditional Brazilian and international favorites along with vegetarian options. The variety of carnivorous choices range from honey glazed duck breast to grilled octopus and even a massive T-REX steak.
- This established cornerstone of the Rio de Janeiro gastronomy scene has scored plenty of accolades from critics around the world as well as earned a Michelin star. The full service dining can be paired with wine and offers five or seven course options. The menu is filled with traditional French fine dining staples integrated with local Brazilian ingredients.
- Mauricio and Maria Helena Eskinasi have been serving up contemporary Japanese cuisine as well as locally infused dishes and world-class sushi for over a decade at Hachiko. The relaxed atmosphere and exceptional dishes make for a wonderful Asian-inspired experience in the Latin American country.
- Gabbiano Ristorante
- If you’re in the mood for something Mediterranean, Gabbiano offers authentic Italian seafood, steaks, and pasta dishes. The attentive service and understated atmosphere creates a warm and welcoming environment that is perfect for business during the day or a date in the evening. The restaurant offers a first rate wine list and several vegetarian-friendly options as well.