It seems like there’s always something going on in The Windy City, especially in the realm of its gastronomy scene. With no shortage of excellent places to enjoy some gourmet grub, there is always a good excuse to plan a trip. Chicago has quite an extensive and growing scene of world-renowned restaurants that is elevating the city to the top of many foodie’s travel lists. With over twenty Michelin-starred locations and countless gourmet eateries, it can be hard to decide which ones are worth your time, and while the answer is likely most of them, we can’t just fit them all into one trip.
Here are our five favorite Chicago restaurants to help you narrow down which one to choose
- The unique dishes and pageantry cooked up by Chef Grant Achatz is simply legendary. There aren’t very many restaurants in the world that have earned a three Michelin star rating, so calling this fine dining or gourmet is a bit of an understatement. The menu changes with the seasons and is an endlessly evolving work of pure art crafted from only the finest quality ingredients. This restaurant belongs on every foodie’s bucket-list.
- High above the city in the Chicago Stock Exchange building, you’ll find Chef Jean Joho’s traditional French fine dining masterpiece. If swanky and elegant is your language of choice, then let Everest whisper sweet nothings into your taste buds while enjoying a lavish atmosphere and splendid view of the city’s skyline.
- A favorite of the Obama family, Rick Bayless’s Topolobampo is great if you’re feeling adventurous. The seasonal menu is constantly changing, and the restaurant focuses on locally sourced ingredients. You should expect regionally-infused variations on contemporary Mexican dishes that are out of this world.
- El Ideas
- This restaurant’s philosophy is to make fine dining more approachable – they even have a BYOB policy. You should expect playful and adventurous dishes and a staff aimed at ensuring you have a fun and relaxed evening. With a constantly changing menu, the only guarantee is a world-class gourmet meal that is certain to leave a lasting impression. This is a great restaurant to try if you’re tired of the same old staples offered by traditional fine dining institutions.
- Dusek’s Board & Beer
- If you’re looking for an upscale gastropub experience, Dusek’s is just the place. Offering gourmet takes on traditional bar foods as well as some more extravagant fare and exceptional cocktails, this is a great place to go and unwind in a more relaxed atmosphere that is open late for anyone looking to enjoy the Chicago nightlife.