Knowing when to be a ‘bad boy’ and a ‘good boy’ is crucial if you want to be considered a gentleman. It’s not just holding the door for a lady, it’s about much more than that. So, what is a gentleman? Well, according to the Cambridge Dictionary, a gentleman is a man who is polite and behaves well towards other people, especially women.
Unfortunately, all men are not always gentleman-like; there are more ways than one to be uncivilized and crude, but instead of being an outright pleb, why not show some class? It pays off to strive to be a true gentlemen because those who do earn the respect of others wherever they go. They hold themselves to a higher standard which make them set apart from the rest. So, why should you aspire to be a gentleman in today’s modern times? It says a lot about who you are as a man, that you care about others and not just yourself.
Whether you’re still learning or consider yourself a seasoned gent, this guide will make you a better gentleman:
A true gentleman…
- Never gossips
- If you have a habit of passing on scandalous rumors you hear during water cooler talk at work or enjoy talking bad about people just for the fun of it, consider breaking this habit right now. Not only does gossiping bring others down, it makes you look like a schmuck.
- Knows how to dance
- The time will arise in every man’s life when knowing how to dance will be useful. We’re not talking about partying at the club, here. We’re talking about those formal occasions like a wedding, bar mitzvah, or charity event when you can’t just do the one-legged chicken and get by with it. You’re never too old to take dancing lessons, and, you never know when the occasion will call for a romantic slow dance with your sweetheart.
- Offers to pay
- Particularly if you invite someone out, you should always offer to pay. Yes, even though times are changing in the dating world, it’s still good form to offer to pay for your date, too. It sends the message that you care for them, have it together, and want to see more of them.
- Is never arrogant
- There is nothing worse than an arrogant, cocky man with a superiority complex or blown-up perception of his own abilities. Be humble, yet confident and you’ll go much farther in life.
- Works hard to achieve his goals
- Take the advice of Theodore Roosevelt: “Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty…” Take a step back and consider this: have you ever longed to be like someone who has it easy? Chances are, you envy those who have worked very hard for what they have.
- Knows how to treat a lady
- Call us old-fashioned, but we think it’s still good form to hold open the door for a lady, help her with her luggage, escort her safely to her door after a date, or offer her your coat in inclement weather. No matter how small the gesture, ladies will always remember your kindness and manners.
- Dresses to impress
- No matter where you go, dress to impress. Even if you’re just running some errands or walking the dog around the block, you never know who you’ll run into. Those old sneakers and cutoff shorts may be comfy but they certainly do not say: “I’m an esteemed man, worthy of your praise, respect, and admiration.”
- Never lies to their woman
- OK, there are some exceptions to this, like if she has just gotten the worst haircut or color but she loves it – better just say “it looks nice”. However, apart from such situations that could unnecessarily make her cry, never lie or keep secrets from your woman or partner if you want a long-lasting relationship built on trust.
- Cleans up after themselves
- If you’re at a dinner party or simply dining at home with your significant other, always make the effort to bring your dishes into the kitchen, or, even better – offer to do the dishes! These simple gestures show that you appreciate and respect others. A gentleman doesn’t just lay back in the recliner while his lady cleans up his dirty dishes. They offer to help in some kind of way, even if it’s just taking out the trash. But cleaning up your mess doesn’t just apply to dishes, it applies to cleaning up any other area you make a mess in, take for instance, the bathroom or your partner’s car. It take a little effort, we admit, but your family and friends will appreciate it.
- Has cooking skills
- If you don’t know have to navigate in the kitchen, it’s hard to call yourself a “real gentleman” because a “real gentleman” is prepared for entertaining, even if it’s just his mom coming over for a quick bite. You don’t have to be a chef, just know some basic recipes and one or two classic dishes that will impress anyone you have over.