One of the most crucial lessons we all must learn in life is how to find balance. Work-life balance seems to be the one that often comes to mind or gets brought up the most, and while it’s certainly important, there are so many things that fall under each category that the lines are often quite blurry. Especially for busy men like ourselves, health is not something to be ignored. We should all be conscious of our health and well being, no matter what age we are. It’s easy to take our health for granted when we’re young but it always finds a way to catch up with us.
Check out some health trends gaining traction and how they can be beneficial to your life:
- Sensory Deprivation Tanks
- Sometimes referred to as float spas or isolation tanks, this form of therapy has actually been around for over sixty years, gradually increasing in popularity over the last decade. The therapy consists of being put into a sound-proof and light-proof tank of body-temperature water heavily saturated with magnesium sulfate where you float for a predetermined amount of time.
- In this environment, your body is essentially deprived of any form of sensory input, which leads to some interesting effects on the mind, such as inducing hallucinations among many users. There have been studies conducted that link the devices with possible health benefits including increasing cognitive ability, focus, and psychological recovery after intense physical training when studied on professional athletes In addition, sensory deprivation tanks have been reported to offer a host of other potential benefits to users that boost both mental and physical health.
- MCT Oil
- If you are a fan of the ketogenic diet you may have heard of this one already. MCT stands for medium-chain triglyceride and is a shorter length chain of fats your body digests differently than the more common fats found in most of our foods. The health benefits of MCT oil are widespread, some even scientifically backed.
- Increased energy and fat-burning are the most common use cases for the oil, but it can also help fight infections and lower cholesterol. There are even studies suggesting the oil can help manage diabetes, Alzheimer’s, and epilepsy. You can find the oil on its own or many coffee and smoothie shops have it as an optional supplement.
- IV Spas
- By far, the most controversial of the three health trends we’ve mentioned is IV spas, but knowing your options never hurts. They have certainly gained in popularity, particularly over the past decade. Celebrities have been among the first to try this personal IV-therapy, which previously was only available in hospitals and medical facilities. When IV spas started popping up and we could learn more about the potential health benefits for ourselves, people began flocking to them, to the point that now they’re fairly common in many cities around the world.
- The most common use is for recovery and hydration, but the therapy is also a popular option for people with a hangover after a long night of partying. There are also vitamin-infused drips that claim to help boost immunity and increase energy levels. It’s worth noting, however, the contents of the IVs are unregulated, and some health professionals claim they are little more than a placebo, so keep that in mind if you decide to try it for yourself.