A quality globe has a distinguished and sophisticated flair that can elevate the class of any office or library. When considering decor for one of your more intellectual spaces, it’s worth considering an intricate piece of cartography instead of cluttering up the walls with pictures or paintings that don’t fit your theme. The feeling of having the world in the palms of your hands certainly appeals to many travel enthusiasts, and with the advancements in printing techniques, globes are now being made more accurately detailed than ever before.
Here are a few manufacturers of elegant globes that are marvelous works of art in their own right
- Bellerby & Co ($9,000 – 25,000)
- In many circles, Bellerby & Co are acknowledged as the best artisan globe makers in the world. From the modern floating design of The Curve to the timeless curves of The Galileo and The Britannia, they offer an extensive selection that should be easy for pairing with the theme of any room, and if you can’t find the perfect fit they even take commissions.
- Zoffoli ($200 – 450)
- The Italian masterpieces crafted by Zoffoli are great for whiskey lovers. They make a variety of bar globes that will fit any desk or freestanding space and are far from a trivial novelty item. Their tan and brown globes with wooden bases would make an excellent addition to the classically designed study of any well traveled gentleman.
- Columbus ($1,200-7,500)
- If you’re a fan of the traditional blown glass look, Columbus makes extraordinary illuminated floor globes that come on a variety of stands ranging from modern metallic to luxury hardwood. The 20″ Berlin model would look great next to a leather armchair, whereas the Vienna desktop globe would be perfect on a matching end table.
- Replogle ($1,000 – $13,700)
- The wide selection of style and sizes offered by Replogle is quite impressive, but they are perhaps best known for making the Frank Lloyd Wright globes. Their finest heirloom model, Diplomat, is 32″ and has over 28,000 named places on it which is about seven times more than most traditional globes. If you’re looking for an accurate, world-class cartographic work of art, you can’t go wrong with Replogle.
- The Clare Hall Company
- If you still haven’t found the right globe for you, Clare Hall specializes in making custom vintage historical pieces. This British company’s works are often commissioned for television and film but for the right price they’ll design a piece to suit your needs.