Bangkok has been one of Asia’s major travel hubs for quite some time, but anyone that’s ever visited the city will know that it’s much more than just a layover. The capital of Thailand is quite the cultural mecca and entertainment juggernaut in its own right. If you’re a fan of the nightlife or enjoy live music, there are plenty of places to spend your nights being thoroughly entertained and connecting with like-minded individuals. The city is home to an explosive EDM scene, hip-hop is a growing element of the culture, and there’s even a burgeoning jazz scene.
These are our favorite places to hangout in Bangkok after dark:
- Whether you’re into house, trance, dubstep or any other variation of EDM, there are plenty of vibrant venues in Bangkok. Insanity is a great club for meeting locals, and they play a variety of different genres of EDM while easily hosting over a thousand people on any given night. The style feels very reminiscent of the warehouse industrial scene popular with the rave community.
- The multi-storied Levels features a central bar under a giant chandelier with a second floor balcony and a rooftop bar. The music shifts depending on which level you’re on and features various EDM genres and even R&B in one room. If you want to be sure there’s a live producer, you might want to check out Live RCA, where plenty of international stars put on shows when touring the region.
- While EDM is easily the biggest genre in Bangkok right now, fans of hip-hop can always find a spot in the city. Route 66 features multiple rooms and genres, but hip-hop is their mainstay. It’s a great spot for getting your own section and bottle service while getting acquainted with locals that share your tastes in music.
- Ce La Vi, on the 39th floor of the Sathorn One Building, features an upscale lounge experience and dedicates Wednesday nights exclusively to hip-hop. This sophisticated and glamorous nightclub knows how to treat guests like VIPS, too. Not only do you they escort you up to the club, there is a private elevator that all groups of guests have for added comfort and convenience. Another great hot spot for hip hop is Beam. This industrial-style club has two floors, one catering to the massive EDM scene, and the downstairs area is all about the hip-hop. It is just the place to be for a night of dancing, cocktails, and cool DJs.
- While it may seem like EDM rules the Bangkok music scene, don’t underestimate the city’s love for jazz. Bamboo Bar features live performances every night of the week and offers an intimate and swanky ambiance reminiscent of a prohibition era speakeasy. The Conrad Hotel’s Diplomat Bar is a sleek, modern style lounge that is great for enjoying a live singer while grabbing a drink with friends.
- If you’re looking for something even more elegant, the Plaza Athenee Hotel’s Glaz Bar offers an extravagant environment for the most discerning jazz enthusiasts. Located in the Lumphini district, it’s the perfect place to indulge your love of jazz, sip some tasty cocktails, and even meet some affluent locals.